Unit 8: 415 Assignment
Examine policy issues that surround public and private healthcare.
Imagine that you are a hospital administrator speaking to a stakeholder group of people in your community including local policymakers, leaders and concerned citizens about market failures and the role of government and address complex healthcare policies so they will understand how healthcare policy is created and helps them. You wish to address how your hospital would like to help the community address the opioid crisis affecting the community and region and explain how the community could help. Government intervention is based on the special interest or public interest theories. The public interest theory focuses on efficiency in the market and the special interest theory levels the playing field in the legislative marketplace.
In your speech to stakeholders in the community you provide a policy analysis and provide informed advice that relates to a public policy decision and include a recommended course of action/inaction and should be framed by the client’s powers and values. In your speech to stakeholders you explain some examples of the aspects of the problem that a policy analyst may consider. In your speech to stakeholders you provide 3–5 options for a community to consider. You also explain some potential criteria for evaluating your policy options. The paper should be written in APA format, include at least four references, and should 3-4 pages in length not including the title page and references page and should include at least four references.
As the hospital administrator, you want to prepare a policy analysis about the opioid crisis in your community
The policy analysis should include ALL FIVE components.
1. Define the problem being addressed in the analysis. How a problem is framed in one of the most important steps in a policy analysis!
2. Usually in the of a QUESTION
3. May be board of narrow
4. May be neutral or value-laden
5. Must lean to the possibility of SEVERAL options
6. Does NOT include recommendation
1. Informs the reader why a problem has been chosen for analysis
2. Provides the facts and information needed to understand the problem being addressed
3. May have to be based on the knowledge base of the reader
1. Provides the context of the analysis by identifying key stakeholders interested in the problem and the issued that must be considered when analyzing the problem.
2. The stakeholders that must be included depends on the issue and the phrasing of the problem statement.
3. Examples of a problem that a policy analysis may consider
· Political factors
· Social factors
· Economic factors
· Legal factors
· Practical factors
1. Analysis should provide 3 to 5 options to consider
2. All options must:
a. Be within the power of being accomplished
b. Be consistent with the identified values
c. Address the issue identified in the problem statement
3. Identify criteria to use to evaluate each option
4. Identify PROs & CONs for each option
1. Choose one of the options as the recommended course of action. DO NOT choose a hybrid option that mixes two or more of your options.
2. Discuss why this option is better than the other.
3. Identify any action that may be taken to compensate for the weaknesses associated with the selected option.
Writer explains that a policy analysis is an analysis that provides informed advice to a client that relates to a public policy decision and includes a recommended course of action/inaction and is framed by the client’s powers and values.
Writer explains some examples of the aspects of a problem that a policy analyst may consider.
Writer explain the policy analysis should provide 3–5 options for a client to consider.
Writer explains some potential criteria for evaluating your policy options.
1. Provide a problem statement. Points 15
2. Provide the necessary information on the problem in the background and landscape sections. Points 15
3. Provide 3–5 options in both text and table formats. Points 20
4. Offer your recommendation based on the options provided. Points 15
5. Write the policy analysis in APA format, include at least four references, and ensure that it is 3-4 pages in length, not including the title page and references page. Points 15